If you are struggling to get started writing your assignments and find there is always something else more interesting to do, why not get together with your mates and form a “shut up and write” group. The rules are:
- You meet up, bringing your laptops and notes
- You get a coffee and catch up until the time you have agreed to start
- Then everyone sits down and writes solidly for 25 minutes (use a timer) without any breaks or chatting
- After 25 minutes, everyone stops for a short break (e.g. ten minutes), gets another coffee if necessary, and has a chat
- Then everyone writes again for another 25 minutes
- And so on …
You could do this at somebody’s flat, the Union, or the Learning Cafe at Paisley Campus.
Concentrating on one thing for 25 minutes is called the Pomodoro technique, and is a well known time management method. If you’d like some help with time management and getting your coursework completed there are lots of books available in the Library, or you could ask one of the Effective Learning tutors for advice.