A group of US scientists have announced the creation of a synthetic living cell.
The researchers, lead by Dr Craig Venter, have published their findings in Science. The article is available online from The Guardian and the journal is available on paper in the Paisley campus library.
The BBC have produced a Q&A explaining the implications of this development.
You can find earlier work by Dr Venter by searching the Science Citation Index (available from the resources section on the library home page). To find his earlier articles:
- Click on the link for Science Citation Index
- On the Web of Knowledge page, click on the tab for Web of Science
- Scroll down the page and make sure that the box for “Science Citation Index Expanded” is ticked; untick the other boxes
- Type Venter, JC into the search box, and change the drop down menu to Author. (NB Although known as Craig Ventor, this researcher’s initials are JC)
- On the results screen, use the SFX links to find if the articles you are interested in are available at UWS.